Wednesday, November 6, 2013

DSA Week- Day 5: Siblings


Ever wonder what the brothers and sisters of a sibling with Down Syndrome think?

Here's what they said.

In 2011 this study ask brothers and sisters about their feelings and perceptions toward their sibling with Down Syndrome. They analyzed valid and reliable surveys from 822 brothers and sisters 9 yrs and older whose families were on a mailing list of six non-profit Down Syndrome organizations around the country.

 96%  indicated that they loved their sibling

94% expressed feelings of pride

88% felt they were better people because of their sibling

90% felt their friends are comfortable around their sibling

Less than 4% said they would want to " trade in" their sibling

The brothers/sisters describe their relationship with their sibling as positive and enriching.

      I have seen nothing less with my children and their relationship with Peanut.

If that's not enough here's just one of  my many proud mommy stories.

  Today was another day that my oldest (10yrs old for those that don't know) confirmed his love and pride for Peanut. The day started with him wearing my "Keep Calm It's Only An Extra Chromosome" sweater to school. A smile so big on his face as he couldn't get out the door fast enough to go show it off and tell his friends when they asked what it meant!

Followed by my heart melting in pride as my boo spent his allowance on blue and yellow hockey lace's so he could lace up this week and support Peanut and all other individuals with Down Syndrome! He was excited about doing this and I'm sure some of the boys in the dressing room noticed as his other lace's are bright orange and he's one of the few who have coloured lace's. I can hear the pride he would answer with!! :)   



All laced up and ready to go! These lace's will be traveling supporting Down Syndrome Awareness all weekend in Sarnia!
One goal scored for you Peanut and I'm sure your brother will have more for you as the weekend comes!
 
The love,pride,compassion,caring,kind, positive relationship my boys have already there is no doubt in my mind that it will only  keep growing and getting stronger as the yrs go on. They each have just as much to give/learn/teach each other as with any siblings relationship.
 
 
 
 



No comments: