Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Preanesthesia Clinic

Kayde needed to visit the preanestesia clinic considering his history and corrected age.  We headed off to Sick Kids on a snowy Friday morning to be there by noon. The drive down was awful, but we made it just in time and when I mean just on time we walked through the clinic doors right at noon. Kayde now awake and hungry, and of course the one time I need the waiting room to busy so I have some time to nurse Kayde, it is empty. Just my luck..lol. Out come the special mommy multi-tasking skills,  nursing and filling out a 3 page questionnaire,,whew I did it. 

 Next we met with a NP who went through Kayde's history and the questionnaire. She explained everything that would happen and how the day of surgery would go. The no eating solids after midnight, an then she says no BF after 5am. Surgery is booked for 9am we are to be there 6:30am. Uh mm yea I thought to myself easier said then done. They don't know Kayde he is gonna be screaming for breast.  I really wonder how that morning is going to  work out for us and I will be sure to let you know how it goes..:) She begins to say that it is a day surgery but after talking and going over everything she thinks Kayde shoud stay the night just to be watched. In a way I felt alot of relief when she said that. I know its not really a good thing that a day surgery as turned in to a overnight stay but I can't tell you how nervous and scared I feel over this. We talked a little while longer as she examined  Kayde and put him on the scale. Whoot Whoot 16 lbs. 

Next we met the Anesthesiologist who went over the same things and also said he thought it would be a good idea to book Kayde a bed for the night.  He went over how Kayde would be put under and what would happen from his part in the surgery. He explained a Caudal block and a general area block and said we needed to decide what we wanted Kayde to have. I asked a lot of questions about both methods, but I don't know. Caudal Block scares me a lil bit its in the spine like epidural but no line is put in it is a one time pain/freeze shot.  General area block is similar but the just try to block the nerves in the area they are operating. I don't know which one. I have some research to do...  

1 comment:

ch said...

Biggie had two caudal blocks when he had his hypospadias repaired. He was a little wobbly trying to sit for a few hours following surgery, but other than that did just fine. Hope all goes well for you and he recovers quickly!