Sunday, February 12, 2012

Thyroid Testing

I am so mad right now....Grrrrr, So I will begin here, Kayde needed blood work checked for his up coming surgery. 1 of those blood test being his Thyroid, that was Jan 30th. week later a Friday at 4:30pm I get a call from the family dr office saying his Thyroid is low. I ask for the numbers an she tells me TSH is 11.39 and FreeT4 is 15.  I get off phone and start reaserching normal thyroid levels. OMG a normal TSH is .5 to 5.0 but since 2003 has been recommended that .3 to 3.0 is normal range. Normal FreeT4 levels 0.7 to 2.0. I am freaking out.  I get thinking and I start wondering what his levels were last time it was checked. I was told they were fine. I quickly try the office back and there closed, DAMN. I now have to wait all weekend. Awww I wanna scream, I look back in my note book I started the day he was born and am very thankful I did. Kayde's Thyroid was checked before being discharged from the NICU and I had his levels. TSH was 4.36 and FreeT4 was 19.60. I remember reading his file that morning in the NICU and I questioned the Dr. about it then and was told the levels were high because he was still preemie and not adjusted age yet.  Grr I need his levels from the last test.

 The weekend seemed to take forever and consited of alot of reading and me getting more upset. Monday final arrives and right at 9:30 I'm on the phone. She reads me the levels and I say are you KIDDING me. TSH- 7.98 FreeT4- 18. I'm so pissed at this point and I said I need an appt now to talk with him about this, we need a referal, this needs to be fixed NOW. Kayde is few weeks away from being 1, and clearly has  Hypothyroidism.  Oh yes the story gets better he is on vaccation till the 13. Purely in a state of Dr. rage now. Grrrrr I say ok fax the results to our Ped, and I will get him to refer us on.  I give it the day and the next day I phone our Ped to make sure his office got the fax and to push for a appt. An to my luck look who is also on vacation till the 13th. Ok really are you kidding me, this can't be happening.

I am at the point of tears, this is my lil boy, and his health they are playing with.  This is no joke and like I mentioned above Kayde is almost a year and clearly has been left untreated. My heart is breaking as I write this...:(

No comments: