Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Hear My Words!!!!

06/03/13!!!! Mean anything to you??  Never meant anything to me either until 2 years ago. Whats
the importance of this date? It it is "Spread The Word To End The Word Day"  It is a day  to raise awareness for thousands of people with intellectual disabilities and their families who are affected, offended and hurt by the word retard(ed).


“I look retarded when I…”
 
Don’t be retarded!”

“It’s so retarded.”


These are all statements I have heard. To be honest I am guilty have said the "word" before in my life too, before I was aware. Aware of the effects this word truly has!!

 I have heard it from friends, family. I hear it when out in public, and sadly.... Some
Medical professionals still use mentally retarded to describe Kayde and people like him.
It is slowly being written out of legislation, but it is society that has to change their way of looking at it. To most its just a word, they didn't mean it that way... There is no other way
 of meaning it. Period. I am fully aware of what retard means. I know it's the French word for slow. To hinder or impede. I also know that unless you put a French infliction to it, you are using it in a derogatory way. PERIOD!!!!

You may think I’m overly sensitive. Please, before you jump to that conclusion, try to imagine your child, your heart, being made the poster child for words like flawed,slow, inadequate, less then perfect, defective, subpar, or inferior. Then try to think of how that would feel to you.

When in reality, in my eyes he is the poster child and is the key for unconditional love, hopefulness, joy, strength, happiness and the meaning to a better more meaningful life!!!

I pledge to you today and everyday Kayde to stand up and speak up every time that word is said.  So if you use that word please know that if my ears are around I am going to make a point to say something to you. You don't have to care my son has Down Syndrome, you don't have to care people look differently at him.  You don't have to care that this word bothers me, but you will have to listen to me call you on it.


Did you know???

97% of people with Down syndrome are happy with who they are. They are HAPPY.
( How many of you can say that)



 

No comments: