Monday, October 8, 2012

31 For 21: Day 7- Our 1st Hospitalization

  A Couple weeks ago as the weather changed from summer to fall, big sis ended up with a runny nose and coughing. Friday morning 2 days into your sis being sick you wake up with red watery eyes, and a runny nose.  I still today can't believe how quick and hard this hit you. By Friday night bed time you were so congested and wheezy, We got to bed around 11pm and by 2am you were up with a fever and worse. At barely 7am I called my best friend and woke her as my car was in the shop. Kayde needed to go to emerg.

   As we were called in to be assest by the triage nurse, before I even sat down with Kayde she says "Oh my listen to you lil man" and right away put on O2 stat reader...80% is what it showed..The next thing I know we are being rushed into emerg and he is put on 10L of O2. The Dr. is there waiting, He orders  15ml pregnazone and 3x Ventolin treatments every 20 mins. to try and open his airways. After all 3 treatments we tried 6L of O2 but it didn't improve his O2 stats at all.



He had a blood gas test is what they called it. They were afraid he was  getting to tired to breath on his own. They said this was the best way to test his actual O2 levels in his bld. Blood O2 came back normal. Thank goodness.


 X3 more treatments every 40 mins. Tried to take off O2 and stats still only came up to 83-85%.  


X3 more treatments every hour. 3L of O2. Poor peanut finally after 6 treatments  decided to just give up fighting the mask. O2 came up to 90 -92 %. We are being shipped to Peterborough Hospital by ambulance where there is a Peds Dr. waiting to see you.

 As you can see he did not like the paramedics...:(
 It's so hard as a mom to see your baby like this, it's OK peanut mommy is right here and will hold your hand the whole way.( I needed to hold his hand more then he needed to hold mine)

When we arrived we were met by the Peds Dr. who admitted you and said you were there overnight at least till you could hold your O2 levels 95% while sleeping on your own. She also ordered another 7ml of pregnazone and to continue with treatments every 3hrs.
 It was not long after arriving we were up in your room..

Well I must say my poor boy, regardless of the lack of sleep you had you were defiantly feeling the effects of all the treatments and steroids. I never seen you so hyper.

Look at my peanut so tired and sleep deprived..

Can you tell he's pretty much been up since 2am and this is like 5pm..:)

 Mmmm food, he decided he was hungry...
 Now that his belly is full, he was finally ready for a little sleep. They will be in for us to do treatment every 3hrs. O2 stats holding 94-97 %

Well he fell asleep, but not long after being asleep his O2 stats dropped to 90% again. They put nose prongs on him and put him on 1 1/2 L of O2 for the night. The Peds Dr. came in morning to see him and said his lungs sounded better but because he need O2 all night, We will be staying again. We continued with 7ml pregnazone X2 day and treatments every 3 hrs.  By late afternoon his stats were up to 95-97% again. He had a great night other then being very vocal about me waking him up every 3hrs for treatment. I felt the same way he did exhausted and just wanted to sleep. Dr. was in nice and early and gave us the OK to go home as he held his stats all night. Ya!!! 

I would have never imagined and still can't believe within 24hrs of getting sick we landed in hospital for 3 days. Never in my life have I seen or heard of someone being treated so aggressively with Ventolin. It was very scary and really opened my eyes to how a lil bug can be so dangerous for my peanut. I'll pray and will do my best to keep winters nasty germs away from my boy.

No comments: