Monday, October 1, 2012

31 For 21: Day 1- My "Holland" vs "Italy"

   Last year my 1st post for 31 for 21 was the " Welcome To Holland"  poem by: Emily Perl Kingsley.  It was so fitting as I was just in the beginning  of Kayde an I's journey in " Holland", and with that brings me to today's 1st post. (the short version).

 Today I am writing about my feelings, thoughts and my reality of being in "Holland"
19 months into this journey, I must say "Holland" on a whole for the most part is not a bad place,Since landing I'm a completely different person.  Different in the best ways. I never imagined how greatly my life would change, I find myself the happiest I have ever been and for that I thank my son Kayde and his lil extra.  For those of you that know me have heard me say, my peanut has taught me more in 19m then some learn in a life time. He has changed me and taught me alot about myself and for that I am a better person. He has taught me that I am a Researcher/Teacher/Educator/More educated /PT,OT,SLP Therapist,Learner /Medical Language Learner (lol)/Doctor,Learner ( in a sense  it is me educating some of them)/Advocate/Learner/ He has changed the way I look at life/ He has changed what matters to me in life/ He has shown me to slow down and enjoy the little things/He has taught me I am stronger then I ever knew I could be/ He taught me the true meaning of unconditional LOVE/He has made me part of a wonderful community are just a few of some of the things Kayde has taught me. I could go on an write and write what I have learned from my peanut in such little time, and I will but Here is a video called Trisomy 21 Speech which for me sums it up just perfectly!!!
I guess the best way for me to explain my reality and how I look on this journey, is like this.  " Holland" In many ways is the same as "Italy"  We live/learn/love/play/feel/succeed/ etc, all the same. Just in different ways. No different then the differences we live, living among different cultures or the basic differences in each and every person. In  "Holland" my child lives/ learns/loves/plays/feels/succeeds like a  child in "Italy", Just in more steps, BUT my child WILL live/learn/love/play/feel and succeed.  Couple of the  hardest realities for me in "Holland" is the harsh reality of closed minded people/ society. People/ Society that see's "Holland" as not "Perfect" an life worthy. { When you see 1 Kayde there's 9 you don't}, A Society/ppl who have such low expectations for "Holland". A Society that in 2012 can't see everyone as EQUAL. Personally in my 19m journey I have only had a few negative experiences, a few is too many. But I am proud to say, I handle them with class and hit them with a bunch of true real facts about "Holland" and hopefully made them think or even changed there minds of what they think of "Holland".I guess what I'm saying is weather you are in "Holland" or "Italy". Everyone has good/happy and bad/hard days. In my "Holland" the good/happy days defiantly out weigh the bad/hard days.




As for my thoughts about my "Holland", Honesty, to keep it short and get to the main points is YES I have lots of worries, fears, questions and I'm sure my handful of obstacles to over come.But Again I find myself back at doesn't everyone have these fears about there own lives or their child's. Weather in  "Holland" or "Italy" 
LIFE:


My feelings/reality and thoughts of my life in "Holland" is I am TRUELY happy, and nothing could have ever made me not choose life for my son who happened to be born with a little extra. With all the extras he has brought to my life. I feel I have won the lottery!!!  





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and very inspiring, I have seen you change for the better(not that you weren't already GREAT) in the last 19 months, I have seen you slow down and look at life around you, and I must tell you that I am envious of you, why can't I just do that? You are a great mom to all your kids! The struggles you have had didn't kill you, they made you stronger! Very very proud of you! Xo